Thrifty Foods Partners with Two Local App Creators to Make Shopping Organized, Easy and Fun
- Neil Tran of Leap Web Solutions and Curtis Duggan of Dactyl Studios, both based in Victoria, BC, had never met one another before Thrifty Foods pulled them together to create a new mobile application for customers. Both business owners admit that this project was unlike anything they had done before, but they knew from personal experience as grocery shoppers what had to be front and centre - the bag reminder.
"We were able to include many great features and we're very pleased with the end user experience," said Tran. "All along, the reusable bag reminder was a priority and we agreed that this feature had to be accessible with a single touch. We also wanted to use large type, because we spend a lot of time on our phones and we know what a difference that makes."
Thrifty Foods started interviewing local design and programming companies in June of this year and had a very clear vision of what they wanted to see - simple, no-nonsense features that would be easy for customers to navigate and would also allow for real-time special offers and alerts that could be shared with app users in all markets. They also wanted an app that would work well on all iPhones and Androids - a tool for customers to get quick updates on special offers that would make the shopping experience affordable and fun.
"App users can spot seasonal offerings on our Reserve & Pickup service and early previews of favourite products that have just arrived in store," said Thrifty Foods Manager, Online Shopping, Web Services, & Customer Care Christian Arbez.
Fresh seasonal fish, fruits and vegetables could be among those previews - everything from first-of-the-season halibut to Buck Brand Citrus oranges, kumquats, pomelos and other timely treats.
The new app has a sleek, clean look and includes:
- the Thrifty Foods weekly flyer
- special deals, notice on the arrival of seasonal produce
- a reusable shopping bag reminder that, if enabled, will send you a notification when you approach your chosen Thrifty Foods location
- access to the Reserve & Pickup service (for party platters and more)
- multiple grocery list memory bank
- beautiful recipes and the ability to tap and store ingredients to lists
- a store locator
- storage of your personal Club Thrifty Foods card number