Meet the Machials, our friends and partners since 1996 from Fairview Orchards in Oliver, BC.
- In 1964, the Machial family moved to Oliver, BC from Portugal to begin farming in Canada.
- In Portugal, the family had had a smaller farm that grew olives and grapes.
- Rick and Joe’s first job was changing gas sprinklers every day before school – they had to physically move the big, heavy pipes!
- Brothers Rick and Joe are second-generation farmers today that own and operate Fairview Orchards with each of their sons, David and Brian.
- David and Brian grew up on the farm, which was where they had their first job building boxes for peaches.
- David’s favourite piece of equipment is a 4610 tractor, which he learned to drive on!
- Joe almost went to the Olympics in the early 70s for wrestling!
- Rick was on the first team from Oliver to win a provincial title in basketball.
- The brothers have always had dogs on the farm, and they’ve progressively gotten bigger!
- They love apples in sauces, crisps and homemade apple juice.