Top 10 tips to prevent foodborne illnesses at home.
- Keep refrigerator 4 °C or less.
- Wash your hands with hot soapy water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- Refrigerate or freeze all foods within 2 hours after cooking.
- Sanitize all cloths and sponges regularly. A sanitizing solution can easily be made with 1 tsp of bleach to 3 cups of water. Clean counters and other surfaces with this bleach solution to prevent bacteria from spreading.
- Clean all cutting boards and knives with hot soapy water and sanitize with bleach solution for each different food item. For example, never cut vegetables on the same cutting board used to cut raw chicken without cleaning and sanitizing the cutting board first.
- Use a cooking thermometer to determine if meats are properly cooked to the proper internal temperature.
- Defrost food in the refrigerator, microwave or in a cold water bath changed every 30 minutes. Never defrost food at room temperature on the counter.
- Store raw meats double wrapped on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator to prevent raw juices from dripping onto other foods.
- Always marinate food in the refrigerator and never reuse the marinade to baste the cooking food. Make up new marinade to prevent cross contamination of the cooked food.
- Do not place cooked food on the same plate that held the raw meat, poultry or seafood unless the plate has been thoroughly washed.