- Cut 2 large or 3 medium lemons in half. Squeeze the juice from each half lemon into a large pot, one that’s deep and large enough to submerge and simmer four artichokes in. Also set the squeezed lemon halves into the pot.
- Fill the pot about three quarters full with water and add 2 tsp. salt. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring water to boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, wash the artichokes. Pull off lower, tougher outer petals (leaves) and cut the stems to 1” or less. Snip off sharp tips of remaining petals with kitchen shears.
- When the water is boiling, place artichokes in the pot and adjust heat so they gently simmer. Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until petals can easily be pulled off.
- Drain the artichokes well and cool to room temperature. Gently spread out leaves and then pull out centre leaves to expose the fuzzy centre(choke). Scrap out and remove choke with a small spoon. Place the artichokes on plates. Divide and spoon pesto mayonnaise into the centre of each artichoke and serve.
Artichokes and pesto mayonnaise can be prepared a day in advance and kept stored in the fridge. For a visual guide on preparing artichokes, see How to Prepare Artichokes