- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a 8" wide pot; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the pears to port mixture, cover and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, take off the lid and let pears cool to room temperature in the port mixture. Store pears in fridge in the liquid until needed. Pears can be made one or two days before needed.
- When ready to serve, remove the pears from the poaching liquid, slice and fan each one; set on a plate.
- Combine the vinegar, 1 Tbsp. of pear poaching liquid, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Whisk in the oil. Toss in the salad greens, and then divide among 4 salad plates.
- Set a pear fan on each salad. Divide and top each salad with walnuts and cheese
Options: Use baby spinach or chopped leaf lettuce instead of mixed baby salads greens. Use another nut in the salad, such as pecans or toasted sliced almonds, instead of walnuts. Use another type of blue cheese