- Place the 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet and set over medium heat. When melted, add the bell pepper and cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Grease a 13” x 9” baking dish with butter. Line the bottom of the baking dish with 8 pieces of bread. Cover the bread with a layer of ham. Now cover the ham with a layer of havarti (or Swiss) cheese.
- Evenly distribute the cooked bell pepper and bacon over the cheese. Now cover those items with a layer of cheddar cheese. Cover the cheddar cheese with a layer of the remaining slices of bread.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and beat until yolks and whites are well blended. Now mix in the milk, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Pour this mixture evenly over the layer bread in the baking dish. Cover the dish and set in the refrigerator until ready to bake the next morning.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350˚F. Uncover the dish and brush the top layer of bread with the 1/4 cup melted butter. Now sprinkle the bread with the crushed corn flakes and Parmesan cheese. Set the dish in the oven and bake, uncovered, 60 to 70 minutes, or until puffed and golden and cooked throughout. Let rest 10 minutes, and then slice and serve.
You can save the bread crusts to make breadcrumbs. To make them, let them dry on a baking sheet two days, then set in food processor and process into crumbs. Now transfer to a tight-sealing jar or bag until needed.
Recipe options: Use whole wheat bread instead of white, or use a mix of white and whole wheat bread in the recipe. If you don’t care for bell pepper, replace it with 3 green onions, thinly sliced. You won’t need to cook the green onions, simply sprinkle them into casserole when adding the bacon.