- Line an 8” wide, 2” tall cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving some overhang.
- Place milk and vanilla in a medium pot and bring to just below a boil over medium heat. Meanwhile, place eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl and beat until pale and lightened. While beating continuously, very slowly pour the hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Place this mixture back into the pot and cook, stir continuously, over medium heat until mixture thickens and forms ribbons.
- Remove this custard from the heat and add chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer custard to a clean bowl, set bowl in a sink and surround with ice water up to the level of the custard in the bowl. Let custard cool 20 minutes. While that occurs, coarsely chop 6 of the Truffini.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled, in another bowl, whip cream until firm peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream, in 3 batches, into chocolate mixture. Fold in the chopped Truffini, pour mixture into prepared pan, cover with overhanging plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, to help loosen the semifreddo from the pan, dip the bottom of the cake pan in warm water 1 minute. Unwrap top of the semifreddo, set a serving plate on top of it, and then invert both to release the semifreddo unto the plate.
- Carefully remove plastic wrap from the semifreddo. Dust semifreddo with cocoa powder and garnish with a few raspberries, if desired. Decorate top of cake with remaining Truffini. Let cake stand 10 minutes at room temperature, or until semifreddo has thawed enough to slice into wedges. Plate and garnish those wedges with mint.
Note: Extra fine sugar is sold in our baking supply aisle. Brockmann’s Truffini are available in our Bulk Foods Department. They come ina range of flavours. Use your favourite type in this recipe.
Recipe Options: For a sweeter, creamier chocolate taste, instead of dark chocolate, use 300 grams of milk chocolate. Instead of cocoa powder, try dusting the outside of the cake with an equal amount of icing sugar.