- Place quinoa and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to medium, and cook, undisturbed, 15 minutes, or until tender and liquid is evaporated. Cool to room temperature.
- Place the chick peas in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash them until paste-like. Add the remaining ingredients, except panko and chutney, and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the panko on a very wide plate. With cold water dampened hands, form ¼ to ⅓ cup amounts of the quinoa mixture into 8-¾“ thick cakes. Set the cakes on the panko.
- Coat each cake in panko, gently pressing to help it stick, and set on the baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate cakes for 30 minutes. Cakes can be made to this point and refrigerated for several hours before needed.
- Divide the oil between two large non-stick skillets over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cakes and cook three minutes per side, until browned and heated through. Serve with chutney.
Recipe Options: To make Thai-style quinoa and chickpea cakes, replace the Indian-style curry paste with red or green Thai curry paste.