- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2, 12-cup non-stick mini muffin pans with vegetable oil spray.
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spices in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Mix in the cheese.
- Beat egg in a second medium bowl. Mix in buttermilk and butter. Mix this mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup right to the top.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until cornbread springs back when gently touched in the centre. Cool cornbread on baking rack 20 minutes, and then unmould.
- To serve, arrange cornbread on a serving tray. Top each with a small spoonful of sour cream and salsa. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro and enjoy.
Cornbread can be baked several hours before needed. Cover and leave at room temperature until needed. When needed, set cornbread on a baking sheet and warm in a 250 degrees F oven a few minutes before topping.