- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high. Season the chicken with pepper (the prosciutto will provide a salty taste). When oil is hot, set chicken in the pan and cook until golden brown, but not cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the tomato sauce, stock and pesto in a small pot and set it aside for now.
- With a hot water dampened knife, cut the cheese, widthwise, into 8 equal rounds. Set two rounds of cheese, and 2 asparagus spears, on top of each piece of chicken. Wrap each chicken breast with a piece of prosciutto and set on the baking sheet, cheese-side up.
- Bake the chicken until cooked through, about 20 minutes. While the chicken cooks, loosely cover the pesto flavoured tomato sauce and simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, make a pool of the sauce on each of 4 plates. Set a piece of chicken on each plate, and enjoy.
Note: Trim the asparagus spears so that they are about the same length as the chicken breast. To blanch the asparagus, cook in boiling water 1 minute. Drain well, cool in ice-cold water, and then drain again.